I witnessed something truly amazing tonight. It's one of those full circle moments that doesn't happen all too often in life. Where things come together, line up, and just make sense. I hesitated in writing about it because this story is not my own. I am just blessed to have watched it all unfold. But I think it needs to be shared because it is a beautiful story of redemption.
It's been almost three years now since we traveled to Awassa, Ethiopia to meet our daughter's biological grandmother - the only living family member left who had truly been a part of her life. Meeting her was one of the hardest thing I have ever done, but also one of the most important. We are truly blessed to be able to say that we met with her face to face, talked to her about the intimate details of our daughter's early life, and got answers to questions that would have otherwise been impossible to get. I'm not going to get into the details of that conversation, but I am going to talk about how that conversation ended. Before we said goodbye, we asked her if there was anything she'd like to say that we could pass on to Aubree. The part of her answer that always stood out to me was this:
"Tell her to never stop singing. Sing always."
At the time of our conversation with Aubree's grandmother, we really didn't know Aubree yet. We had only met her a handful of times by visiting her at the orphanage. So when her grandmother said, "sing always" I assumed that Aubree must like to sing. I was happy to hear that, and thankful for the little clue her grandmother had given me.
Within a few days, and what seemed like a whirlwind, we were back in the U.S. with our brand new daughter. We had so much to learn about her. (We are still learning about her). We witnessed so many "firsts" that first year she was home with us. That scared, quiet little girl we brought home in February 2011 became more charming, feisty, independent, and smart everyday. But she NEVER sang. I started to think her grandmother must have gotten it wrong. My little girl loved to do a lot of things, but singing didn't seem to be one of them. I have to admit, I felt guilty about it. I took our conversation with Aubree's grandmother very seriously, and I fully intended to honor her wishes for her granddaughter as much as I possibly could. I remember trying to get Aubree to sing with me, but she would just smile and nod her head to the beat.
These days, "firsts" don't happen too often anymore. Aubree has adjusted well to our family and lifestyle. Those little reassuring signs of progress are few and far between. But there have been some recent signs of progress that have been exciting. About 6 months ago, I noticed Aubree doing a lot more independent pretend play. She has finally started playing with her dolls and barbies, and she doesn't need someone to play them with her all the time. That may not sound like anything special to most people, but for a girl who didn't even know how to play when she came home, this is huge. Around the same time, she also started singing. Singing along to songs on the radio, singing songs she learned at school, and even singing made-up songs about what she's doing. This girl has been singing all the time! Again, this may not sound like anything special, but it's huge for her. I feel like it's a sign that she has a sense of comfort and security, like it's finally safe to be herself. Without her grandmother, I wouldn't have recognized this. It is such a gift.
This brings us back to what happened tonight. Aubree asked to join the kids choir at church a few weeks ago, and I wasted no time getting her signed up. Tonight was her church choir debut, and she sang her little heart out! I couldn't be more proud of her, and it makes it even better to know that her grandmother would be so proud too. One of the songs she sang was so fitting. "Never Once" by Matt Redman. The lyrics are so fitting for Aubree's story of redemption. No matter how bad things were, no matter how lonely she was, NEVER ONCE was she alone. NEVER ONCE did God lose sight of her.
Enjoy the video! Aubree is in the front row wearing a black dress, pink leggings, and black boots. Lyrics are below.
It's been almost three years now since we traveled to Awassa, Ethiopia to meet our daughter's biological grandmother - the only living family member left who had truly been a part of her life. Meeting her was one of the hardest thing I have ever done, but also one of the most important. We are truly blessed to be able to say that we met with her face to face, talked to her about the intimate details of our daughter's early life, and got answers to questions that would have otherwise been impossible to get. I'm not going to get into the details of that conversation, but I am going to talk about how that conversation ended. Before we said goodbye, we asked her if there was anything she'd like to say that we could pass on to Aubree. The part of her answer that always stood out to me was this:
"Tell her to never stop singing. Sing always."
At the time of our conversation with Aubree's grandmother, we really didn't know Aubree yet. We had only met her a handful of times by visiting her at the orphanage. So when her grandmother said, "sing always" I assumed that Aubree must like to sing. I was happy to hear that, and thankful for the little clue her grandmother had given me.
Within a few days, and what seemed like a whirlwind, we were back in the U.S. with our brand new daughter. We had so much to learn about her. (We are still learning about her). We witnessed so many "firsts" that first year she was home with us. That scared, quiet little girl we brought home in February 2011 became more charming, feisty, independent, and smart everyday. But she NEVER sang. I started to think her grandmother must have gotten it wrong. My little girl loved to do a lot of things, but singing didn't seem to be one of them. I have to admit, I felt guilty about it. I took our conversation with Aubree's grandmother very seriously, and I fully intended to honor her wishes for her granddaughter as much as I possibly could. I remember trying to get Aubree to sing with me, but she would just smile and nod her head to the beat.
These days, "firsts" don't happen too often anymore. Aubree has adjusted well to our family and lifestyle. Those little reassuring signs of progress are few and far between. But there have been some recent signs of progress that have been exciting. About 6 months ago, I noticed Aubree doing a lot more independent pretend play. She has finally started playing with her dolls and barbies, and she doesn't need someone to play them with her all the time. That may not sound like anything special to most people, but for a girl who didn't even know how to play when she came home, this is huge. Around the same time, she also started singing. Singing along to songs on the radio, singing songs she learned at school, and even singing made-up songs about what she's doing. This girl has been singing all the time! Again, this may not sound like anything special, but it's huge for her. I feel like it's a sign that she has a sense of comfort and security, like it's finally safe to be herself. Without her grandmother, I wouldn't have recognized this. It is such a gift.
This brings us back to what happened tonight. Aubree asked to join the kids choir at church a few weeks ago, and I wasted no time getting her signed up. Tonight was her church choir debut, and she sang her little heart out! I couldn't be more proud of her, and it makes it even better to know that her grandmother would be so proud too. One of the songs she sang was so fitting. "Never Once" by Matt Redman. The lyrics are so fitting for Aubree's story of redemption. No matter how bad things were, no matter how lonely she was, NEVER ONCE was she alone. NEVER ONCE did God lose sight of her.
Enjoy the video! Aubree is in the front row wearing a black dress, pink leggings, and black boots. Lyrics are below.
"Never Once" - Matt Redman
Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we’ve come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us
Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Carried by Your constant grace
Held within Your perfect peace
Never once, no, we never walk alone
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
Every step we are breathing in Your grace
Evermore we’ll be breathing out Your praise
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
Looking just how far we’ve come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us
Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Carried by Your constant grace
Held within Your perfect peace
Never once, no, we never walk alone
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
Every step we are breathing in Your grace
Evermore we’ll be breathing out Your praise
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
2 comments:
Beautiful story, Jen. :)
Chocking back tears over here so my kids don't start asking what's wrong. Grandma's words are such a blessing to Aubree! And having a mom who sees all the pieces line up is also a blessing. Thanks for sharing this story of God's relationship with His daughter.
Post a Comment